Life is Better with Good Friends

Dear friends and family, 

I am so grateful for all of the love and support that I have received over the last few weeks.  Thank you for your kind notes and thoughtful words. You have lifted me and helped me more than you know.

I love words. I love kind words. I love when people use kind words to lift and carry me through tough times. It truly fills my soul and gives me courage. Yet, I feel a bit guilty. Guilty because I am not special or unique. EVERYONE is experiencing some kind of challenge. I feel that I don't deserve so much love and attention. In fact, if you could see the daily struggle you would see how "not pretty" it really is.  I wish I could spotlight each one of YOU and YOUR courage and strength as you face many unseen trials.


I have been able to spend time with some amazing women over the past few weeks. As I think about what I want to share with you this week, I believe that I want to share some of the lessons I have learned from these dear friends. They are another source of my strength. I want to thank them, and recognize how much they do and have done for me. 

My sister in law, Stephanie, took part of the day off to just come and be with me.  She has been a dear friend for so long. She is doing so many good things! Working full time as a teacher. Working with a high percentage of difficult special needs children in her classroom.  Raising a blended family. She just worked so hard and diligently to complete a Master's degree. 

Our discussion was inspiring to me.  She shared a story with me about how her youngest son did not make a good choice. She shared with me her efforts to teach him to think through his decisions, and make better ones in the future. She shared with me her efforts to keep him away from worldly influences. I came away from that conversation with a determination to do better at teaching my kids. To hold them accountable. To help them learn to be good humans. Thank you, Stephanie, for your example. I am better when I spend time with you.

I spent time with my dear friend, Emmeline. She is also doing so many good things. Working as a paramedic, running a quilting business, and managing her large family. She is AMAZING. She invited me over to learn to make a quilt. She wanted to make me a quilt to take to chemo with me, but thought it would be fun for me to learn how myself. I am LOVING her willingness to share her talents with me, but I am loving the time spent with her even more. I am learning so much from her example. I have learned so much from observing her interact with her family and friends. Thank you for showing me how to be giving and kind, and still work hard to develop your talents and gifts. Your parenting style and family culture is very inspiring.  

Sidenote: My quilt is turning out so beautiful! I am quilting butterflies into it on her long arm machine. It will be my brave and strong chemo quilt. Thank you, Emmeline, for teaching me how to quilt and for your example of Christlike service and love. 

My friend, Michele, came with me to my appointment in Idaho Falls this week and we had a lunch date. She is my hero! Michele is working on her master's degree. She is studying nutrition and is braving many different rotations and internships. She is a devoted mother and wife. I have been blessed by her friendship for many years. She has always been there! She heard my hard news and sent a text that says it all. "Hello, my Emilie...there are so many things I want to say right now... I just want to say "hi."  I loved it! Just a hello. I am here. I love you. I know this is hard.  Our lunch discussion led us to discussing the kids, and how we can support them as they face this scary world. She is so wise. So consistent. I always learn so much from her and come away recharged and determined. Thank you, my friend, for being you and loving me. 

My friend Bobby Jo also took me to the temple last week. We sat and enjoyed the peace of the temple in the celestial room for quite a while. She is facing so many hard things in her life as well. Yet, she took time drop off homemade bread for my family. Connecting with her and enjoying the peace of the temple fed my soul. Thank you Bobby Jo, for your example of Christlike love. 

My dear friend, Tiniel, and her daughter drew me this magnificent drawing: 


Countless others have sent uplifting texts and kind thoughts. Prayers are going up. Some sent me love through the words of the prophets. (Perfectly timed)  My sister is organizing a fundraiser. (We really are doing just fine, and I am having a terrible time accepting this generosity. There are so many who need it more than me!)  I am truly overwhelmed. I don't know what to say...except Thank you! Thank you for helping me feel loved and cared about. Thanks for making my burden light. Thank you for building me up. Thank you for your courage and strength.  I love you all. 

Love, Emilie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More hard news

Winter Adventures

A quick update