The Latest News (and a bit of background info.)
Dear Friends and Family:
It has been a few wees since I have taken time to write. I have to admit, I find the format of the blog a bit more intimidating than a family email. Why the change? I have felt a prompting from my Heavenly Father to share my experiences on a blog. I hope I can keep a few more people in the loop this way. I am really hoping to offer hope and help to anyone who needs a lift in their lives.
This week was the same as the past few. We had chemo again this Monday (November 14) The doctor is pleased with my tumor marker (also called the CEA) staying stable the last few months. This week it was at 7.2. It is funny that they keep saying that it is not an important number, yet we talk about at every visit. They tell me not to take too much stock in it.... but guess what "the number" is doing?! (No mixed signals for sure!) The doctor showed me a pretty graph. It has decreased significantly since starting chemo. In May before my "chemo holiday" the number was 2.2. I asked if we are concerned that it is elevated and he said no. The number has been stable for the last few months. We are calling that a win!
The next scan will be after the new year. The last one was in September, which showed growth of small granulomas in my lungs. They are so tiny, each one is less than a mm! There is just so many of them, and some had increased in size. Surgery is not an option. Radiation is not an option because there are so many of them. Maintenance chemo is the plan, possibly indefinitely to keep the cancer at bay.
I finished my fourth treatment this week. The side effects are definitely increasing with exposure to the chemo. It was a rougher week. It is hard not to be discouraged. I spent a few days in bed this week. Struggling with fatigue and nausea. My nose has started the constant drip again and is getting sores in it. LOTS of mucus in my lungs (caused by drainage). This gives me a full body cough. My bowels are unhappy as well.
Yet... it is still better than it was in May! More up days than down. They have reduced some of my medications to 75% strength and my body seems to be tolerating it better. I feel stronger. Less defeated. I think the Lord just knew I needed a break. That is why I felt prompted to go off of chemo for the summer, against doctors orders. I am grateful. I know He is aware of me and giving me strength.
This week's scripture:
It is because of the Lord's mercies that I am not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness.
The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in Him
The Lord is good unto me. I wait for Him. My south seeketh Him.
It is good that I should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 2: 22-26
So grateful for the daily portion of mercies that help me get through each day. I am finally ok to wait patiently in Him. All is well. I am in His hands.
Love,
Emilie
Comments
Post a Comment