Sugery this week!

Dear family and friends, 

(My happy place this week! We made it to the temple to do baptisms! So happy to be in the temple with  my favorite people. Mary and Dennis came too, but did not make it in the picture. Abby was working but we hope to take her next time!)

We have decided to have surgery this week. It is scheduled for Friday, April 5th. We will remove the tumor from my brain. We fasted and prayed and have decided that even though the surgery is not without risk, we are willing to try. We feel peaceful and grateful for the opportunity.

The backstory: The pathology from the brain biopsy came back with news of an active tumor. We met with our oncologists from Huntsman, and they referred me to Dr. Menacho, a neurosurgeon from the University of Utah. Dr. Menacho listened carefully as I described my struggles and loss of mobility over the past few weeks. 

She feels that the tumor is putting pressure on the motor strip and the best chance for recovery of some mobility is to remove the tumor. She feels confident that she is able to remove the tumor with the added help of the improved technology at the University of Utah. She did not make any promises of recovery, and there is an opportunity that my disability could worsen or become permanent. 

We have continued to do hyperbaric treatments and have not seen any improvements yet. The numbness and weakness continue to get worse daily. We feel that surgery is our best chance to recover some mobility. I will be in the hospital for several days in Neuro Critical Care. Inpatient rehab to follow. We do not know how long they will keep me in rehab. It will depend on my progress. 

We would love prayers this week that all will go well. Thank you all for you do and for continuing to exercise your faith in my behalf! I continue to pray for a miracle, according to the Lord's timing and will. I trust Him. I know I am in good hands and I trust His timing.

I love you all and I am so grateful for your constant love and support.

Love, Emilie

 


Comments